Saturday, October 23, 2004


Last year I was in Japan for 3 months studing at Doshisha Women's College in Kyoto. That was the first time I got to see the Jidai Matsuri (Festival of Ages). The Festival of Ages was the inspiration for my Senior Thesis on the women of the Heian Era. This year I returned the Festival to watch it again, to see it through new eyes. I was very happy that I did. Japan's history continues to intrigue me, especially the history of the women living in Japan. Of course, new knowlegde tends to bring new questions. While my focus durning the festival was on the Heian women, this time I couldn't help noticing the women that marched in the other time periods, and were seen throughout the festival. How did their lives compare to the lives of women in the Heian Period? Why were they displayed here? More questions...well I have a year to find the answers before next year's Jidai Matsuri. Posted by Hello

No comments: